New Release! FOLLOWING HIS HEART
“Beautiful Story.” ~Beatriz, Cover To Cover Book Blog
1. Name: Mary Pat Hyland
2. How long have you been an indie writer? Since 2008
3. What formats do you publish in? Paperback & ebooks
4. What genres do you write in? Short stories, chick lit, suspense, humor, family saga
5. Are you on Twitter or Facebook? Both!
6. What’s your current book? In the Shadows of the Onion Domes, Collected Short Stories
7. How do you want your readers to feel after they’re read your book? This book is like a Whitman’s Sampler of my writing styles. I hope it will bring smiles, maybe a few tears, and leave you thinking.
8. What’s your next book about? It’s a humorous suspense novel that I’m currently writing as part of National Novel Writing Month.
9. What types of jobs have you had other than writing? Cook, journalist, art director, portrait artist, greenhouse assistant
10. What did it feel like when you were first published? Finally, a long-held dream came true.
11. What’s your go-to song when your writing muse needs to be recharged? “Coyote” by Joni Mitchell. Her writing is exquisite and I love the sense of being on a road trip somewhere through the strumming of the guitar chords and Jaco Pastorious’s beautiful bass notes.
12. What do you do when writer’s block strikes? Go for a walk. There’s something about the fresh air and change of scenery that helps re-charge the imagination.
13. What’s the best compliment your writing ever earned? That the reader kept thinking about the characters and what they were up to, months after reading the book (The House With the Wraparound Porch).
14. If you’re stranded on a desert island with a solar battery recharger, what would you be reading on your Kindle? I think I’d need something humorous. My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber.
15. If you could have dinner with three other writers, who would they be? Dorothy Parker, Eudora Welty and Frank McCourt. All dead, unfortunately, but if it were possible, the conversation would be anything but that.
16. What’s your blog and/or website address?
17. Cats or dogs? Dogs. Border collies, to be specific
18. Cake or death? (To soothe the boisterous Eddie Izzard lobbyists…) Cake with thick chocolate frosting
19. What fictional character do you identify with most? Sybylla Melvyn in My Brilliant Career
20. What’s the closing line of your latest book? At that moment, knowing she was nearing the bridge between this world and the next herself, nothing else mattered but the fact that for the first time in six years, she felt fully alive.
NEW RELEASE: In the Shadows of the Onion Domes, Collected Short Stories by Mary Pat Hyland
PRICE: $2.99 / £1.92 / EUR 2,68
GENRE: Short Stories, Humor, Literary
By the confluence of the Susquehanna and Chenango rivers in New York’s Southern Tier lies a verdant valley called the Triple Cities.
The shoe factories that originally drew thousands of immigrants from across Europe have long moved on.
What remains are the distinct ethnic flavors of a gritty community determined to overcome economic woes, adapt to the rapid changes in society and find true meaning in life.
Consider these eighteen stories as pages ripped from a sketchbook. Some are quick studies; others are more detailed portraits inspired by observed characters, whispered gossip, overheard conversations and the local lore of the residents whose neighborhoods are framed by the gilded Orthodox Church domes that span this valley.
You’ll find that each tale has its own tone: some are humorous or poignant, others are surprising and haunting.
About Mary Pat
Mary Pat Hyland is an Amazon Top 100 bestselling author and has published six novels and a collection of short stories. Her short stories have
appeared in the anthologies Seasons Readings and Lost Love Letters: An Indie Chicks Anthology. In 2013 the Arts Council of Yates County selected her as an Artist in Residence. She is a graduate of Syracuse University and has worked in the commercial/fine art, journalism, education and culinary fields. Mary Pat resides in upstate New York, the setting for her novels, and enjoys organic gardening, gourmet cooking, visiting the Finger Lakes and teaching the Irish language.
Barnes & Noble: www.barnesandnoble.com/s/9781502358646
The Author’s eStore: www.createspace.com/4997212
Enter the Rafflecopter giveaway contest to win an autographed copy of In the Shadows of the Onion Domes, copies of her ebooks or a piece of original art created by the author.
Halloween Blog Hop
I see you have returned! I trust you have taken a well lit tour of all the Coffin Hop blogs? Let us hope that you paid attention to your surroundings!
Your first stop will be to go back to Axel Howerton’s page and have another look around. You need to find the title of the next title being released by the Coffin Hop Press.
When you’re sure you have the correct answer, your next stop will be taking a small turn about these dark halls. While there, I want you to tell me what Kintsugi is?
When you think you have the answers I seek, email me here. I will be awaiting all of your offerings!
Be the first to deliver the correct answers and I will give you a copy of The Perfect Pumpkin. A full color children’s book for your ereader.